Here are a few questions that can prompt your personal history.
- Where did you grow up? What is the first thing you picture about that place? Who do you think of as closely connected to the place?
- What was your home like? How many rooms? Describe your picture of yourself there.
- Who were your neighbors? Describe what you did with your neighbors.
- How long did your family live in the area(s)? What do you remember about moving from one place to the next?
- How many siblings did you have? What were their names and when were they born? What do you remember about them when you were children?
- How are your siblings different now from their childhood?
- Who were other family members in the area? Describe where they lived.
- Did you live on a farm? What kind of crops were grown? What do you remember about working with the crops?
- What kind of livestock or other animals did you keep?
- Did you have any pets?
- Where did you go to school? Who were some of your classmates?
Your next assignment: use the questions to record the memories of your partner, your parents, your friends.