2016-04-21

A New Direction: Ragusa and Messina provinces of Sicily

In preparation for a trip to Sicily with Chuck, I'm resuming research on his Italian family. Both his maternal grandparents were born in Sicily.

  • Italy, Sicily, Messina Province (modern map)
    His grandmother was born in Militello Rosmarino, in the western third of Messina Province. The nearest larger town is Sant'Agata, on the northern coast, about 8 miles north of Militello Rosmarino.
  • Italy, Sicily, Ragusa Province (modern map)
    His grandfather John Iacano was born in or near Ragusa, the administrative seat of Ragusa Province.

The Family of John Iacano and Angelina Russo Femminella

Chuck's parents are Rose Mary Iacano (1916-1976) and Charles Derry (1908-1974). Rose was the second oldest child in her family of seven brothers and sisters. For more information, click the title of this section to go to another blog page.


The Family of Emanuel Iacano and Angelina Tumino

The eldest known brother to Grandfather John Iacano is Emanuel Iacano (1882-1952), who was married to Angelina Tumino (est 1883-1963). For more information, click the title of this section to go to another blog page.

The Brother Sam Gacomo (Iacano)

Grandfather John's brother Sam was said to have immigrated to Argentina. His information is not certain, but his birth is estimated 1875 and death calculated to be 1840. For more information, click the title of this section to go to another blog page.

The Brother George Gacomo (Iacano)

Another brother to Grandfather John Iacano was reported to be George Gacomo, estimated dates of 1875-1935. For more information, click the title of this section to go to another blog page.

The Sister Georgia Gacomo (Iacano)

A sister Georgia is also reported without certain information. Her dates are estimated to be 1875-1940. For more information, click the title of this section to go to another blog page.

The Family of Biagio Russo Femminella and Marie Pisa and Mary Coppolino

A brother to Grandmother Angelina Iacano was Biagio, who married Marie Pisa and Mary Coppolino. Their children Dee Dee Russo, William Russo, and Leon Russo. For more information, click the title of this section to go to another blog page.

The Family of Joseph Russo and Sarah Ferone

Another brother to Grandmother Angelina Iacano was Joseph, who married Sara Ferone. No known children. For more information, click the title of this section to go to another blog page.

The Family of Tony Russo and Bertha Costanza

Another brother to Grandmother Angelina Iacano was Tony, who married Bertha Costanza. Two known children Rose Mary Russo and Gaetana Russo. For more information, click the title of this section to go to another blog page.

The Family of Caroline Russo and Frank Palatrone

A sister to Grandmother Angelina Iacano was Caroline, who married Frank Palatrone. Their children Frank Palatrone II and Beverly Palatrone. For more information, click the title of this section to go to another blog page.

Militello Rosmarino

Militello Rosmarino is an Italian community in Sicily. Locally it is called Militeddu in Sicilian, and its antique name was Militello Valdemone. The town has 1334 inhabitants and is in the province of Messina. The town had its greatest number of inhabitants, 2600, in the mid-1930s. Nearby is the Parco dei Nebrodi *linked to an Italian encyclopedic entry* and the larger coastal town Sant'Agata (di Militello) *linked to an Italian encyclopedic entry*, of about 12,000 inhabitants. For more information, click the title of this section to go to another blog page.

Ragusa

Ragusa is an Italian community in Sicily. The accent in Italian is on the first syllable. Locally it is called Raùsa in Sicilian. The origin of the town name comes from the Byzantine era and Greek-derived language, Ρογος, Ragous, Rogos (meaning "barn") due to the agricultural wealth of the area. During Arab rule, the name became Ragus or Rakkusa  (meaning "place famous for an amazing event"). Later, under the rule of Norman and Aragon invaders, the name was Latinized to Ragusia and later simplified in the 18th Century to Ragusa.

The city has 72,967 inhabitants, and it is the seat of the province of Ragusa. From 1861 through 1921, the population grew from 29,000 to 56,000. However, for three decades afterward, the population remained around 51,000 and then resumed its growth in the 1950s to it present size. The town is nicknamed "the city of bridges," "the island in an island," and "the high Sicily." For more information, click the title of this section to go to another blog page.

No comments:

Post a Comment